Monday, January 9, 2012

Weeks 2-4

A lot of time was spent finishing up the scraping and sanding of the old paint on the interior. This time I was sure to remove all the floor board so I could get into the space in the bilge. I was then able to step back and get a clearer idea of where we stand with the boat. In the photographs, I added pictures of the areas of concern, namely the hood ends, the broken plank. We will get into the frame repair on the next post.

As we turned into 2012, we were lucky enough to secure a bay in Rick Kotolac's shop on Bartlett Farm Road. We moved the boat there with the help of Eric Holch and Alfie Sanford on the 4th of January. The next day, I had the trailer out from under her and used jack stands and keel blocks to stabilize her. Its wonderful having her inside a heated shop! Regardless of temperatures outside still reaching 55 degrees.

Not pictured is the work started on frame repair. A list was made of each frame that needs attention and exactly how its going to be repaired. The frames with minor breaks and cracks are going to receive a sawn sister spanning the length of the next plank up and down plus 3/4". The frame (which I believe there are 4) that are badly damaged will receive multiple sawn sisters alternating FWD and AFT of the original frame. In some cases, the old frame will be removed and a new one will be scarphed or butt joined in its place.

As a side project, I began sanding the old floorboards and getting them cleaned up and ready for painting.

The project is really moving along and I expect to have all the frames dealt with by the end of next week.

1 comment:

David bone said...

interesting! although I have no expert, but I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information. Keep it up!BoatParadise Boats for Sale